Chicken is one of the mainstays of our diet so when time is running short, look no further than these 30-minute chicken recipes to help feed your family!
Chicken-broccoli stir fry
- 2 plus 1 tablespooon of vegetable oil
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 3 cups of chopped broccoli
- 1-1/2 cups diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup of toasted sesame seeds
- Chinese noodles or rice for serving
- In a large skillet heat two tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced chicken. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the chicken juices run clear then remove the chicken from the pan.
- Using the same skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
- Stir-fry the broccoli, onion, red pepper flakes and garlic for 5-8 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Remove the mixture from the pan.
- Combine the broth, ginger, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Pour into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook two minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken strips, cashews and broccoli mixture. Heat throughly and top with sesame seeds before serving.
- Serve with noodles or rice.
Double decker Buffalo chicken sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- 1/2 - 1 cup of crumbled bleu cheese, depending on taste
- Mayonnaise, to taste
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices of ripe tomato
- 1/2 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- Between two layers of plastic wrap, flatten the chicken breasts to a uniform thickness of approximately 1-4-1/2 of an inch. Divide each one into two pieces.
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium to high heat, cook flattened chicken breasts for about five minutes or until cooked through and the juices run clear. Remove from heat.
- Pour the hot sauce to a large bowl or casserole dish. Add the cooked chicken and fully coat with the sauce.
- Cut the roll in half, spread with mayonnaise then layer on the tomato, lettuce, onion, one cooked chicken piece topped with bleu cheese then a second chicken piece and finish with the bottom half of the roll.
- Serve with extra hot sauce or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Home-style chicken stew
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch by 1 inch size pieces
- 2-1/2 cups of small baby potatoes
- 3/4 of a cup of very thick sliced carrots
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 of a cup of peas
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 3/4 a cup of low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 a cup of cream cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of ground sage
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil then add the chicken pieces, cook for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile add potatoes, carrots and onions to a microwave-safe dish then microwave for approximately six minutes or until veggies are almost tender. Add peas and cook for an additional two minutes.
- While the veggies and chicken are cooking, melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add flour to make a roux .
- Whisk in the milk, stock, cream cheese, thyme, sage and pepper.
- Cook until thickened.
- Add chicken and veggies to the pot and heat thoroughly.