Give These Avocado Recipes A Whirl
Avocados are a powerhouse of nutrition and a perfect accent to many foods. Creamy and delicious, they can be used in many wonderful ways. So move over, guacamole; the avocado is needed here!
Quick avocado basil sauce
Depending on use, serves 2–4
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup torn basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup grated Grana Padano Parmigiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- A few grounds of cracked fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Blend all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. If necessary, add another tablespoon or 2 of water to create the desired texture.
- Use however you like. Serve over steak, grilled chicken or fish tacos, or mix with ripe chopped Roma tomatoes for a fresh pasta sauce.
Black bean avocado salad
Serving size 6
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (640 ml) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 medium avocados , peeled, pitted and diced
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper and cumin until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium to large bowl, add the black beans, corn, diced avocado, chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the olive oil dressing to the black bean mixture, and stir to coat well. Refrigerate for 1–2 hours before serving.
Serving size 4
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup milk or soy milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla
- Whipped cream sweetened with sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- 4 sugar cookies, optional
- Use a food processor to blend the avocados, milk, sugar and vanilla together until smooth.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes or until cold.
- Serve on its own or use as a topping for the ice cream.
- As an option, alternate layers of the avocado puree with whipped cream in a parfait glass.
- Garnish with a sugar cookie.