Your Kids Can Create
Kids love to help out in the kitchen, so why not let them have the opportunity to make a fun, easy dessert they'll love? These cool treats are a cinch to make and will be gobbled up by your entire family!
The black-and-white ice cream sandwich
Serving size 6
- Approximately 3–4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 12 oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- Place the ice cream in a medium bowl. Let it temper to a medium consistency, stirring often.
- Use a microwave-safe plastic bowl to melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave. Microwave for 25 seconds, wait 10 seconds, then stir and repeat the process until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Lay out 6 cookies on a baking sheet and add a large dollop of ice cream to each (approximately 1/2 a cup). Smooth and add another cookie to the top. Take a paper towel and wipe off any excess.
- Dip half the ice cream sandwich into the melted chocolate, then lay the cookie back onto the baking sheet. Repeat with all the cookies, and place the baking sheet into the freezer until both the chocolate and ice cream have solidified.
- Repeat step 2, using the white chocolate.
- Take the cookies from the freezer and dip the other half in the melted white chocolate.
- Repeat step 4. Once frozen, wrap the ice cream sandwiches in aluminum foil or store them in an airtight container.
Berry berry frozen treat
Serving size 4
- 2 packed cups mixed berries, fresh (cut into small pieces) or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup strawberry, raspberry or mixed berry cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup mixed berry jam
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender. Cover.
- Process for 30 seconds. Stir then process until smooth, approximately 30–60 more seconds.
- Pour the mixture evenly into 4 paper cups or popsicle moulds.
- Freeze for 3–4 hours until firm.
Mango ice sparklers
Serving size 4
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup canned mandarin slices; drain and reserve juice
- 1-1/2 cups ice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup chilled lemon-lime soda
- Add the mango and drained mandarins to a blender. Cover. Process on high at 15-second intervals, stopping the blender to stir in between. Add a splash of the reserved mandarin juice to thin out if required.
- When the mixture is almost smooth, add the ice and process on high to crush the ice, stirring when needed.
- When the ice is crushed, add the lemon, honey and soda. Process until just mixed.
- Pour into 4 equal glasses or parfait glasses, and serve.