A Cuter Way To Serve Your Favourite Pie
Mason jar pies
If you're serving your pies at a party, embellish them with bows or even name tags for each guest. If you'd prefer to give them as gifts, place the crusts just inside the jars so you'll have room for the lids.
Serving size will vary depending on jar size
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons ice water
Apple pie filling:
- 6–8 medium apples
- 2-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Small pinch of salt
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Add the butter, and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Add each tablespoon of ice water into the processor, and blend until the mixture begins to hold together. Add more water if needed.
- Make a mound with the dough, and place it on a hard, clean surface. Using extra flour, roll the dough into large disks.
- Wrap the disks in plastic wrap, and refrigerate them for at least 1–2 hours. When ready to create the pies, let the dough sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes to allow for easier malleability.
- This will make enough for about four small Mason jar pies. Double the recipe for more pies or if using larger Mason jars.
- Peel and slice the apples into thin pieces.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, salt and apples, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add margarine or butter.
- Stir and set aside.
Put it all together:
- Roll out the pie crust dough. Use a large circular cutter to cut out a 5-inch circle (larger or smaller, depending on your Mason jars). Cut out one circle for each jar.
- Place the crusts into the Mason jars, and use your fingers to press the dough against the inner parts of the jars. You want the dough to line the jars.
- Spoon the apple pie filling into the jars.
- Using the remaining rolled-out dough, cut smaller circles to line the tops of the pies.
- Use your fingers to pinch the edges of the top pie crusts to the bottom ones.
- Place jars on a cookie sheet, and bake the pies at 350 degrees F for around 20–25 minutes or until the pie crusts are golden.
- Enjoy! You can serve them with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top.