Take A T-Shirt From Basic To Unique In No Time
I often joke with my husband that if one of our shirts loses a button, it’s time to get rid of it. I’m not very handy with a needle and thread, but when I saw this unique T-shirt on Pinterest, I quickly pinned it and couldn’t wait to give it a try. (Original pin source)
Learn how to create your own emergency sewing kit >>
Despite my lack of sewing skills, I’m really pleased with how the shirt turned out, and it even got my daughter’s stamp of approval. She’s already talking about doing another one, so it was well worth the hour I spent on it.
What you'll need for this project
- Plain T-shirt
- Buttons in your choice of colours
- An artistic assistant (optional, but much more fun)
What you’ll do to create this cute T-shirt
- Lay your buttons out on your clean T-shirt in a pattern of your choice, or enlist the help of your assistant with this part. We played around with the button placement for a while before we found one to my daughter’s liking.
- Make a small mark with a light-colour washable marker behind each button so you’ll know exactly where to sew them.
- Thread your needle with thread in a matching colour, or get a bit more creative and use a fun contrasting colour instead.
- Sew your buttons on securely* until you’ve completed your design.
Don't miss our sewing tips for beginners >>
*If you are at all concerned about durability, you can add in an extra step and use interfacing to create a more stable backing for the buttons. The T-shirt I used is pretty thick and sturdy, so I chose to skip this step, and it’s worked out fine. You can find the details on how to add interfacing to your T-shirt at the original pin source.