The Best Blinds To Choose For Your Home
Blinds can add value, privacy and beauty to your home, but how do you know which ones are right for you? Use this brief guide of options as a jumping-off point to help make the perfect choice.
With so many different window treatments on the market, it might be difficult to narrow down the options and make a choice. Here is a sample of some of the most popular types of blinds and their features to aid you in your decision.
- They are an economical choice of window treatment, ideal for kid's bedrooms, basements and garages.
- Are lightweight and durable while still able to offer protection from the heat of summer.
- Can be specially ordered for size and colour or cut to fit from your home improvement warehouse.
Roller and solar blinds
- Are available as room darkening, light filtering or solar shades.
- A room-darkening shade will block out most light and is good for bedrooms or other rooms that are affected by bright external light.
- Sun shades help protect from the sun and reduce the glare while still allowing a view. Perfect for offices, family or media rooms.
- May be custom ordered, but selected styles and colours are usually available through home improvement stores and can be cut on-site to fit.
- Layers of fabric cover the window and offer a soft, timeless appeal. May be either hobbled or flat and are a wonderful choice for smaller or medium windows in the main living areas of your home.
- A few standard sizes and colours can be found at window treatment outlets, but for a large variety of patterns and colours that will be perfect for your home, consider custom ordering.
- As an option, patterns or kits for making your own roman blinds are available and make a rewarding DIY project.
- These have long vertical vanes that are pulled along a track and make a great choice for sliding glass patio doors or large windows.
- Will cover the entire window, and as such, offer good protection from the heat in summer and the cold in winter.
- Should be custom ordered to find the perfect colour and proper size.
- An option to a standard vertical is a panel track style blind. Panels of fabric are attached to a headrail and make a nice decorative statement in a room.
Wood and faux wood blinds
- Wood blinds have a classic feel similar to the more expensive wooden shutter.
- Can be stained or painted in almost any shade, which makes them a wonderful window accent while still offering privacy and a light-blocking property.
- Faux wood blinds have the look of wooden blinds but at a lower price point. They are resistant to humidity and warping, unlike their real wood counterparts, and are a good option for every area of the home.
Cellular or honeycomb blinds
- Due to their built-in air pockets, they are one of the best blinds for energy efficiency, helping to keep homes cool in the summer heat but warm in the winter cold.
- Depending on the size and number of cells, they can be very versatile in appearance and function, from light filtering to room darkening, so they would be a great choice for any room in your home.
- Are available in many colour and pattern options to suit almost any decor.